ISOPREP [Ionic Solvent-based Recycling of Polypropylene Products] project aims towards the recycling of polypropylene [PP] products into virgin quality PP through the exploitation of a novel ionic polymer solvent designed for highly tuned solubility of PP patented within the partnership.
ISOPREP project aims to produce recycled PP that possesses the following key advantages/innovations:
1. A performance identical to PP resin freshly manufactured from fossil sources
2. Cost effectiveness in comparison with PP produced from fossil sources
3. Reduced reliance of PP production on fossil resources
4. A reduction on life cycle emissions and energy compared with the use of fossil resources
5. It results from an entirely closed loop with negligible loss of solvent per cycle and hence negligible emissions thus non-polluting
6. The solvent used is non-toxic and non-flammable in the process temperature range
7. The recycling process removes dyes, colours and impurities 8. Prevents sending end of life PP products to landfill and avoids them polluting both land and sea.
Project Duration: October 2018 to September 2021
Eligible Cost: 6.782.006,25 €
European Union Funding: 6.315.555,00 €
Intervention Region: Europe