Development of natural leather with improved cleansing properties
The project NANOCLEANLEATHER aims to develop natural leather with improved cleaning properties - anti-soiling or self-cleaning - designed for automotive interiors, using nanostructured additives.
In addition, it is intended that the improvements in terms of cleaning properties allow to explore the pioneering use of nubuck and suede – traditional products of the tanning industry - in the transport industry.
1. Synthesis of nanostructured additives for anti-soiling properties in natural leather, namely fluorinated silica nanoparticles, ensuring both high roughness and low surface energy;
2. Synthesis of nanostructured additives for self-cleaning properties of natural leather, namely nanocomposites of silica and titanium dioxide, ensuring the degradation of surface contaminants [microorganisms included] by photocatalytic action;
3. Development of processes for incorporating nanostructured additives in natural leather, in particular finishing processes, to achieve anti-soiling or self-cleaning properties, promoting high performance [and a satisfactory fastness] of the functionalities, as well as the maintenance of the natural appearance of leather.
- Synthesis of fluorinated silica nanoparticles with hidro and oleophobic properties.
- Incorporation of fluorinated silica nanoparticles in leather to attain anti-soiling properties;
- Leather with hidro and oleophobic properties.
Dissemination Activities - Know More